A Frost & Sullivan Case Study Series. This case study was developed in collaboration with MDEC and Frost & Sullivan. The client is an American medical technology company that serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers, clinical laboratories and the public.
Background & Problem Faced
The client’s APAC Shared Service Centre has a Purchase Order (PO) processing team that receives POs from customers in PDF or spreadsheet formats which referred to as ‘input documents’. These input documents comprise of order requirements and delivery specifications in the issuing customer format. The team needed to process the input documents and create the orders in its internal ERP system as a purchase/sales order within a strict SLA.
- The POs received were spread across different countries and time zones, with each country having their own distinctive formats.
- Staff had to be knowledgeable about different customer formats, languages and diverse workflows comprising critical data such as PO number, PO date, Material code, Shipping code, Delivery date, Quantity and Planner schedules.
The PO process involved a substantial amount of non-value-added tasks performed by staff such as manually extracting data, copy-pasting and accessing multiple applications to complete a task, contributing to numerous human errors, rework and staff fatigue. The client recognised that overemphasis on mundane, repetitive tasks was detrimental to its business and customers.
The client wanted a solution that could process incoming documents without human intervention, identify data based on various business rules and process flows and simulate human actions to enter data in ERP systems in an efficient, timely and error-free manner.
- An unattended robotics solution to address the end-to-end PO process on a 24/7 basis.
- The solution is designed to process all the input documents and run the business rules to extract data from the targeted input documents.
- Once extracted, the relevant data is auto-populated/entered into the ERP system via Kannal’s robotics automation workflow.
Key Business Benefits
- Significantly shortened turnaround time regardless of the time zone.
- Achieved zero errors, increasing business data entry quality.
- Reduced human dependency and eliminated repetitive jobs.
- Provided 24-hour unattended execution capability.
- Lowered FTE costs in the tasks involved.
“Their technology consultants formulated a Robotic Process Automation (RPA) solution for our Regional Shared Services Purchase Order process. This particular engagement consisted of 2 days of user requirement gathering sessions, 5 days of process automation development and 3 days of user acceptance testing. The outcome provided us with great confidence on the RPA technology. Our global leaders were very impressed with the outcome, especially within the short period of time”.
Director, Asia Pacific Shared Service Center
FROST & SULLIVAN COMMENTARY
For the past eight years, the Company has grown to become a prime player in Malaysia’s SSO industry and continues to provide innovative BPO, KPO, ITO and HRO services to its clients. With a focus on delivering compelling value to its customers, the Company has added RPA capability as a part of its solution portfolio to address critical business concerns such as efficiency, speed, accuracy, and cost- effectiveness leveraging the disruptive potential of automation to drive growth in the SSO sector.